A small group of men from the Union Hill area met as a social club in the early 1940s. They were concerned about the need to provide fire protection for the local residents and after studying the local fire organizations, they founded the Union Hill Volunteer Firemen’s Association in February of 1942.
In late 1943, the fire department purchased Johnson’s Meat Market on County Line Road as a future site of their fire hall. By August of 1944, the building had been torn down and plans for the new fire hall were approved by the membership. The firemen dug the trench for the footing of the fire hall and construction started in September 1944. Some of the funds for the hall were raised by personal donations of $.25 per concrete block used in the construction of the building. The building was completed to a point where it was used as a fire hall in early 1945, but much of the interior work was not completed until the end of that year.
The first fire truck was purchased from the Sodus Fire Department in February of 1944. Most of the fireman each loaned $15.00 towards the purchase. It was a 1926 Sanford with a 500 GPM pump with a 200 gallon tank.
First Aid classes were started in January 1959 and a 1959 Mercury station wagon was ordered from Corey which was delivered in February of 1959 at a cost of $4000. From the beginning of the Union Hill Fire Department ambulance service, the trained first aid personnel included both Union Hill Firemen and members of the Union Hill Ladies Auxiliary.